Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What is neem oil?

Hi Garden Ninja Lee!

I've been told to use neem oil to stop mites eating my house plants and also for apids on my roses by a few of my gardener friends, but I have no idea what it is? Have you used neem oil and does it work to stop plant pests and nasties?!

Jonny

Hi @jonnny76

Thanks for getting in touch about neem oil and gardening. It doesn't seem to have suddenly hit the big time with being a one size fits all plant problem fixer. But what is neem oil? Let's take a look.

What is neem oil?

Neem oil is a vegetable oil derived from the seeds of the neem tree (Azadirachta indica), which is native to the Indian subcontinent. It has been used for centuries in traditional medicine, agriculture, and pest control due to its various beneficial properties.

What's in neem oil that makes it effective with plants?

Neem oil contains several active compounds, including:

• Azadirachtin
  • Nimbin
  • Salanin

All of which have insecticidal, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. These properties make neem oil a popular natural remedy for controlling pests and diseases in plants as they can help prevent and kill off unwanted pests like white fly, scale insects and bugs that otherwise would eat and damage your plants.

In agriculture and gardening, neem oil is commonly used as a biopesticide and insecticide.

It acts as a repellent, growth regulator, and feeding deterrent for a wide range of pests, including aphids, mites, whiteflies, caterpillars, and beetles.

How does neem oil kill pests?

Neem oil disrupts the insect's hormonal balance, inhibits their ability to feed and moult. This means they starve which ultimately leads to their death. It is considered to be a relatively safe and environmentally friendly alternative to synthetic pesticides such as bug sprays.

Can neem oil be used for fungal plant issues?

Neem oil is also used to control fungal diseases such as powdery mildew, black spot, rust, and leaf spot. It suppresses the growth of fungal pathogens and prevents them from spreading on plant surfaces.

When using neem oil, it is important to follow the instructions on the product label, as concentrations and application methods may vary depending on the intended use. Neem oil is typically diluted in water and sprayed onto plants, covering both the upper and lower leaf surfaces.

It is important to note that neem oil can be harmful to beneficial insects, such as bees, if applied when they are actively foraging, so it is advisable to apply it during non-flowering periods or when bees are less active. Sometimes feeding plants is a better alternative to keeping them healthy than spraying neem oil.

It's worth mentioning that neem oil has a strong, distinctive odour that some people find unpleasant. However, its effectiveness and versatility have made it a popular choice for organic and eco-friendly pest and disease control in both agricultural and horticultural settings.

Hope that helps!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!