Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What’s ring barking my plants?

Hi!

I’m trying to work out what’s been girdling my shrub and plant stems. Perhaps it’s a mouse going by the marks but I’m also wondering if it’s slugs or woodlice seeing as it’s been so wet and we have so many. In places where the cambium layer has been damaged there is significant defoliation. I’m against the use anything that might harm wildlife such as pellets so have resorted to using copper rings and tree protectors. Any advice would be appreciated!

All the best,

Gemma

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_9694.jpeg
  • IMG_9696.jpeg
  • IMG_9687.jpeg
  • IMG_9698.jpeg

Hi @grlg

Great question and sorry to hear your plants are getting ring barked and therefore damaging. For the benefit of the community, let me explain what ring barking is and why it can damage or even kill plants and shrubs.

What is ring barking?

Ring barking, also known as girdling, is a term used in gardening and arboriculture to describe the removal or damage of a complete ring of bark around the circumference of a tree or shrub's trunk or branches. This damage can severely affect the plant's health and, in extreme cases, lead to its death. It's a ring of stripped back bark that then hurts and damages the plants ability to uptake moisture and nutrients.

Understanding the Bark

Before diving into ring barking, it's helpful to understand the role of bark in a tree:

• Outer Bark - Protects the tree from pests, diseases, and physical damage.
  • Phloem - Just beneath the outer bark, this layer transports nutrients and sugars produced by the leaves to the rest of the tree.
  • Cambium - A thin layer that produces new phloem and xylem cells, essential for the tree's growth.
  • Xylem (Sapwood) -Transports water and nutrients from the roots to the leaves.

When a tree is ring barked, the phloem and sometimes the cambium layers are disrupted, interrupting the flow of nutrients and water.

Causes of Ring Barking

Let's take a look at what may be causing your ring barking.

1.Animal Damage

• Rodents and Rabbits: Small animals like mice, voles, and rabbits chew on bark for food, especially in winter. Rabbits are the most common culprits for ring barking.
  • Deer: Deer may strip bark from trees with their antlers or teeth.
  • Mechanical Damage from Lawnmowers and Trimmers: Accidental collisions with gardening equipment can strip bark.
  • Tying and Staking: Ties and stakes that are too tight can constrict and damage the bark over time.

2. Environmental Factors

Frost Cracks: Rapid temperature changes can cause the bark to crack, potentially leading to ring barking.

Sunscald: Sudden exposure to intense sunlight can damage the bark, especially on young trees.

3. Human Activities

Intentional Girdling: Sometimes done to kill a tree, such as when clearing land. Not in your case!

Improper Pruning: Poor pruning techniques can inadvertently strip bark.

What are the Symptoms of Ring Barking?

i) Wilting Leaves: Leaves may wilt and turn yellow or brown due to interrupted nutrient flow.

ii) Stunted Growth: The tree may exhibit reduced growth and fewer leaves.

iii) Bark Shedding: The bark around the damaged area may start to peel away.

iv) Dieback: Branches above the ring barked area may die off.

How to stop ring barking

1) Preventing Animal Damage

• Tree Guards: Install plastic or metal guards around the base of trees to protect from small animals and deer.
  • Repellents: Use animal repellents to deter bark-chewing animals.
  • Fencing: Erect barriers to keep larger animals like deer away from young trees.

In your case I'd maybe use some wire mesh around your plant until it recovers as the stems are so thin, this should reduce the potential of a hare, squirrel or other mammal eating through at night.

2. Avoiding Mechanical Damage

Careful Mowing: Be cautious when mowing or trimming near trees; consider creating mulch rings around trees to keep grass and weeds at bay.

Proper Staking: Use flexible ties and check regularly to ensure they are not too tight. Remove stakes once the tree is established.

How to healing ring barking damage

The best way to allow a ring bark to heal is to stop any further damage and then let them naturally dry and seal over. In the past people used to wrap the wounds but this can cause more harm than good as the bandages can trap bacteria and cause further infection, they can also suffocate the plants causing it to die slowly.

I hope that helps. Maybe set up a wildlife camera to see whats causing it and let us know!

Happy gardening

Lee Garden Ninja

Online garden design courses

Share this now!