Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What's wrong with my bonsai tree

Hi,

My bonsai tree isn't looking too good. Does anyone know what this is and if there's something I can do to help it?

These white specs are in multiple places and possibly on the soil?

Thankyou!

Bonsai tree 2

Bonsai tree 3Bonsai tree 4Bonsai tree 1

Hi @duck_garden

It looks like your Bonsai has glass house white fly which love humid conditions and can quickly attack a plant sucking the sap from it. It also looks like the bonsai would benefit from repotting, which some rich growing media, as that soil looks very dusty and dry.

To get rid of glasshouse whiteflies, you can follow these steps:

• Identify the Infestation: Confirm that you have glasshouse whiteflies by examining the undersides of plant leaves. These pests are tiny, white, moth-like insects with a waxy appearance. It very much looks like white fly from your pictures.

• Quarantine Infected Plants: If possible, separate infested plants from healthy ones to prevent the spread of whiteflies. This is especially important if you have a greenhouse or other house plants near by. Putting it in a utility room for the time being on its own can help reduce spread.

• Physical Removal: Gently shake the infested plants or use a soft brush to dislodge adult whiteflies and their eggs from the leaves. You can place a white sheet of paper or cloth beneath the plant to catch the dislodged insects for better visibility.

• Vacuuming: Use a handheld vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle attachment to suck up adult whiteflies, larvae, and eggs from the affected plants. Empty the vacuum bag or canister in a sealed bag and discard it immediately to prevent the pests from escaping.

• Water Spray: Spray a strong jet of water on the undersides of leaves to wash away whiteflies and their eggs. Repeat this process every few days to disrupt their life cycle and reduce their population. However, its not that suitable indoors! More for outdoor plants like roses.

• Sticky Traps: Hang yellow sticky traps near infested plants to attract and catch adult whiteflies. The bright yellow colour attracts them, and the sticky surface prevents them from flying away. Replace the traps regularly as they fill up.

• Beneficial Insects: Introduce natural predators of whiteflies, such as ladybugs, lacewings, or parasitic wasps, to control their population. Again this is more for plants in greenhouses than house plants.

• Neem Oil: Apply neem oil, an organic insecticide, to the infested plants according to the manufacturer's instructions. Neem oil disrupts the life cycle of whiteflies and acts as a repellent.

• Insecticidal Soap: Use insecticidal soap, specifically formulated for plant pests, to spray the affected plants. Follow the instructions on the product label, as excessive use can harm plants. Or make your own spray of 1 part washing up liquid to 4 parts water and spray on to kill the flys.

• Repeat Treatments: Whiteflies can be persistent, so continue the chosen methods for several weeks to ensure the population is under control. Regular monitoring is essential to catch any reinfestation early.

I'd certainly give your bonsai a good liquid feed once you've treated the whitefly too, that will help it recover.

I hope that helps!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!