Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Where to start with a new garden?!

I’m an absolute beginner at gardening and am keen to work on the garden in my new home. From looking at the garden, it’s been pretty neglected as there’s a lot of self seeded or random plants/bushes that are quite established. I’m not sure where to start ie how to identify what they are and then decide whether I want to keep it or not? Help! Where do I begin? 

Uploaded files:
  • CF7BDAEC-ED41-4A31-B21C-F9F65F96861D.jpeg

Hi Ya,

My suggestion regarding your garden is wait, get into spring and let the existing flowers and shrubs start coming to life again.

You stated that there are some self-seeded plants, wait until you can see what they are, and if you like them is there another place in your garden with a bit of space you can move them too, or place them in containers and put them at the front of your house or in the front garden, or swap some plants with your neighbour?

If your garden looks a little bedraggled wait until the frosts have gone, then cut your lawn and trim the edges, this will make the garden look much tidier, I also find that a good forking over makes the borders/soil look really good, and you can weed at the same time, or give them a covering in chipped bark, you can also try and find out what shrubs you have, these may have too be pruned Feb or March, its worth asking your neighbour, they may have had conversations with the previous owner as to what was put into the garden.

Or do as I do, take a picture of the plant, pop into your local Nursery or Garden Centre and ask the staff for some help, then I make a note about the plant, when to prune, when it flowers, how big does it grow etc, because I will "forget" the info gathered, now is a good time of the year to visit the garden centre as they are not too busy,  hope that all goes well in your garden.

Bob

Hi Ya,

Great advice from Bob as always and I only have a few things to add below to help! (Bob please can you email me on [email protected] I have something to send you as a thanks for work on the forumn)

I'd take a picture of the garden now from an upstairs window and then each month for the next year. It will help give you a better idea of what is doing something and when in the garden. It will also show you progress!

Things to do when you start a new garden:

1. Try and identify all shrubs, trees and plants that are currently growing
  2. Wait until the middle of spring before digging out plants as this will show you what may emerge
  3. Remove all perennial weeds in between plants
  4. Take a picture each month to check progress
  5. Prune existing trees at their appropriate time to rejuvenate them (spring for evergreens - winter for deciduous
  6. Make lists of plants that would suit your garden aspect and soil type which saves buying the wrong plants in garden centres
  7. Workout which tools you need as a beginner (guide here)
  8. Enjoy the process!

If you have trees that drop their leaves - also known as deciduous - then winter (ie now) is a good time to tidy them up if they have any damaged branches, crossing branches or branches that are in the way. The video below will help you with these winter activities!

Facebook plant identification groups are a great place to start uploading pics of shrubs or plants that you can't identify.

Other than that take it a step at a time and don't be too hasty to rip it all up and start again. Borrow the wisdom of the previous garden owner.

Happy gardening!

Thanks!

Online garden design courses

Share this now!