Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Wildflower staking and support for a windy site

Good morning 

I’m back again ?

I planted wild flower seeds to go at the back of the borders. Where I live it’s quite windy all the time, and I now have wild flower plants (very tall) at the front which are bending but flowering.

If I moved them would they survive please x

Hi Lynnem,

How many plants have gone over? should there be one or two it may be worth moving them, if there are lots, think about pruning them right back, and hoping for a second show, also think about if they were at the back of the border would the wind still have gotten to them?

It sounds as though you have a  part wild part herbaceous bed, does it really look untidy? I too have planted in the wrong place, and or the elements have nearly demolished some plants, all I do is decide where I want to move the plant too, dig a decent size hole to accept the roots / rootball of the plant too be moved, prior to moving water the plant really well, cut at least two thirds off the plant as close to a bud as possible, remove the plant keeping as much soil around the roots as possible, place in the new position, back fill and give it another drink, this is what I do with herbaceous perennials, and just let them get on with it.

I will be the first to admit that "Wild Flowers" are not my thing, hopefully Lee can offer some expert advice on this, just one point, do you know the name of the plant in question? This would give some information on the behaviour of the plant.

Bob. 

Lynnem1 has reacted to this post.
Lynnem1

Hi Lynnem,

With wildflowers & meadows, you will often find they grow far taller than usual bedding plants and some herbaceous perennials. Mainly because the garden centres are obsessed with petite and dwarf varieties (mainly so they can fit more on trolleys) not because they are better for the garden or wildlife. I won't start on that rant.

What I would recommend is using the metal c hoops to help support larger plants. See below.

I would only move them if you think they are going to get damaged. As wildflowers tend not to appreciate to much disturbance. However for next year you can plan the supports in advance to prevent any flopping!

These metal c supports are readily available online and can be used year after year.

Hope that helps!

Lynnem1 has reacted to this post.
Lynnem1

Perfect thank you x

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

When you're thinking about repotting your plants, it's essential to consider a few key factors. Firstly, you'll want to select a pot that provides enough space for your plant's roots to grow comfortably. As a general rule, choose a pot that's about 2 inches larger in diameter than the current one. Next, think about the material of the pot. Plastic pots are lightweight, which can make them easier to move around, and they also retain moisture well.

Online garden design courses

Share this now!