Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Winter care for olive tree

Hi! I would like to ask you for recommendation. In summer time I bought a small olive tree (app 20cm tall). Tree was doing great until my movement month ago. Because of temperature change, he lost all it's leaves. Now I would like to give him the best possible contidition to survive the winter. My only two options are north window room temperature (app 20 Celsius ) or between the windows (app 5 Celsius righ now, but can drop to - 15). I don't want to stress the tree more than needed. What would be your recommendation please? Thank you very much! 

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi @tkow

Thanks for getting in touch about your olive tree and winter care. A lot of people choose olive trees for pots in the UK as they add some much-needed height to a garden and also offer a beautiful silvery grey colour scheme with their leaves.

What conditions do Olive Trees prefer?

Olive trees are originally from the Mediterranean, and so prefer full sun and dry conditions. Olive trees hate shade, wet roots and frost. When planting, always choose the sunniest hottest position. If planted in pots make sure you use lots of grit and perlite with your compost to make sure it's a free draining as possible. Olive trees don't require huge amounts of plant food, so I would just feed once a year in spring with a liquid feed.

Will Olive trees survive frost?

Olive trees really don't like frosts. (This is an affiliate link so if you do choose to buy receive a small commission that helps keep this blog free to use!)

Although they are a hardy tree, frost and wet roots are the biggest killers or harmers of Olive trees. If a frost is coming, it's advisable to fleece your olive tree by wrapping it in a horticultural fleece. If your olive tree is in a pot then moving the container to a garage or shed for the worst of the frost is best.

I wouldn't advise placing it indoor with heat all year round, though as this can mess with the natural seasonal cycle of the tree. It needs a wintery or slower dormancy period each year to set its seasons. 

My olive trees lost their leaves?

If your olive trees lost their leaves, it is either due to frost or exposure ie wind in most cases. They should grow back next spring. There is a chance, given how small your tree is ie 20cm, that it may have been killed off by the frost. Given how brutal the weather has been here in the UK this winter. It depends on the extent. In your case, I'd move the container to a more sheltered position, especially if there's a porch or a covered area outside or a roof line that can prevent the cold frost from settling on it. I'd also fleece it too.

If you move it indoors, the shock will be severe and may cause more harm than good.

For the most part, olives are tough trees, but in extreme frosts, it's worthwhile fleecing and moving to a more protected area just until the frost passes.

I hope that helps.

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!