Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Disguise ugly warehouse wall

Fenced garden all the way round and the right side also faces a grey warehouse, any ideas on what I could plant or use to disguise/ take your eyes away from the grey warehouse wall?  

Uploaded files:
  • AF3799A8-C89D-48C5-928A-63B025513F74.jpeg

Hi Ya Diz118,

Yep, not a pretty view, I can see a small number of pavers at the base of your picture, and an untouched bit of garden apart from a couple of small trees by the right-hand side fence.

So is your property a new build? the pavers look clean, and nothing really started in the garden, how much more warehouse is there on the right-hand side, and who is responsible for the boundary fence?

Several things going through my mind, increase the size of the right hand size fence, as in, is there enough room between the warehouse and the side fence to enable some additional longer posts to be fixed behind the fence and a trellis fixed to these posts? You could get an extra two to three feet in height.

Also there are other options, on Lee’s You Tube channel he has a video about neighbouring houses looking into a garden, so more privacy is required by the owner, the video shows how he achieved this, with planting.

An alternative to think about is why do you have to have a patio/seating area directly next to your house? Looking at the garden away from your house, looking at the view in your picture? think pergolas and seating areas with the warehouse to the side or even behind you, and looking at a beautiful garden laid out toward your house?

I reckon as you have a blank canvas as a garden, it would benefit you greatly if  you to contacted Lee, and enquired about his complete garden design service, I know he looks into every aspect of the garden, type of soil, best seating area if you like mid-day sun, or sitting in the evening sun, raised beds, pathways  etc.

Very Best of luck with your project

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja and diz118 have reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninjadiz118

Quote from diz118 on 14th March 2022, 3:49 pm

Fenced garden all the way round and the right side also faces a grey warehouse, any ideas on what I could plant or use to disguise/ take your eyes away from the grey warehouse wall?  

Hi Diz118,

Bobs comments are spot on as to what to do with that huge wall. What an eye sore!

Another alternative would be to consider using a raised bed and pleached tree combo in that part of the garden. Maybe in a more contemporary layout. That way you can screen off the view with some evergreen pleached trees and help encourage birds to the garden.

You can read my detailed guide on pleached trees here and watch the video guide below!

Happy gardening.

Lee

diz118 has reacted to this post.
diz118
Online garden design courses

Share this now!