Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Grasses In Wildflower Meadow

Hi there,

I am relatively new to gardening so maybe this is a stupid question but, I have made a half perennial wildflower meadow, Half annual meadow, and the soil is relatively low in fertility which I am aware is a good thing, however there are literally no grasses in this meadow at all but im also aware a lot of the time people have problems with grasses taking over the flowers. So should I include some grasses with seeds ect or not. Honestly im not fussed about the appearance but rather wanting the best for wildlife and if some grass will be better for wildlife then id be happy to add some, or should I give it another year to allow the for some natural succession of grass? Also as my meadow is half and half of perennials and annuals, should I trim down all the foliage that still appears quite green and healthy for the perennial side? 

Thank you! 

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi Nottsgarener,

Have a look on Lee's blog, it can be found on the above menu, he has a section on wild flower meadows, and on his YouTube video's he has one on grasses, both of which will help you out.

There's nothing wrong in mixing your plants, but there are some differing requirements for different plants,  you enquired about planting grasses, personally I would say the majority are thought of as ornamental, but should you wish there is nothing stopping you from making a complete bed of grasses, and some grasses will thrive in poor soil, therefore they should be fine in your soil, as you said its a bit poor, personally I think the right grass or grasses would certainly make an impact.

Hope all goes well.

Bob

Lee Garden Ninja has reacted to this post.
Lee Garden Ninja

Hi @nottsgardener

Great question about grasses and meadow management.

Firstly congratulations in starting with a virgin grass-free meadow. It's clear you've undertaken some hard work to start from scratch which is always far easier than 'taking back' grass to a meadow.

What I would say is to leave the meadow to evolve itself. I wouldn't introduce grasses as you'll find they appear by their own. So save yourself the drama.

In terms of cutting it, I did my final cut last week. Even though there was some green foliage and perennial plants still looked quite healthy. This is because the meadow needs to be reset each year. It allows fresh air and light to the soil to allow seeds to overwinter and get stratified correctly.

If you want to see more this guide will help you on cutting meadows and when.

https://youtu.be/FvxJ5bbLWQY

Let us know how you get on next year!

Lee

After a trimSo this is what it looked like before. As you can see the leafs look quite healthy with just a couple little flowers on different species. I admit earlier at the start of autumn perhaps I did remove most the deadheads and long stems of flowers.

After a trimafterAnd this is after a trim I don't have a scythe I just used a pair of standard straight head shears. I'm unsure what flower these leaves belongs to but it's really low to the ground and grows in quite abundance. So would this be ok to leave or should I fully take it back to the ground. I am planning on leaving a little bit foliage ect because I want to provide a safe space for any frogs, insects that might set up camp there during the winter months but for this part here im unsure. Sorry if this is a stupid question, just want to make sure this wildlflower meadow can be as healthy and successful as possible.

Cheers.

Hi sorry to be a nuisance to  Lee or fellow readers. Just wondered if anybody could give me some help after the photos I've posted above to Lee's response. Before we get the first frost.

Cheers! 

Hi @nottsgardener

Given you’ve already cut them back I’d leave these crowns or rosettes of the plants now as they are  the first frosts will kill them off.

Like you said this low growth will act as an environment for many creatures so is worth keeping  it will also help prevent weed growth as well.

Take a well earned break until next spring with this part of the garden!

All the best

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!