Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Overlooked garden

Hello,

Our east facing garden is overlooked by a large number of houses, mainly at the bottom but also to the left half way down there is another row.
 When we moved in it was a lot more private due to a large amount of tall fir trees planted at both sides half way down and at the bottom. We have removed them all now because they were getting too tall, but we need to creat more privacy. 
I planted a silver birch around 12 years ago near the bottom which I like, but I’m now worried that will be too tall and not help with privacy either!

Any suggestions?

Uploaded files:
  • 0268F445-0592-4E62-9D82-B942D83209C4.jpeg
  • 1FEC4C00-6A74-4A99-B696-57DB66CA0186.jpeg
  • 93399D1A-4538-4D40-8E2A-7517A06DBA1A.jpeg

Hi,

Thanks for your comment and for getting involved with the Garden Ninja forum!

To fully answer your question you really need a full redesign or at least a consultation. As the rules for this forum state, it is for specific gardening or design questions not full garden redesign which I believe this request strays into ie designing a private garden.

However, I can point you in the direction of some overlooked gardens I have designed to get you started with some ideas which may provide help with the design dilemma you're faced with.

My Overlooked back garden design here will offer some guidance for helping to distract away from views.

The pleached tree guide may also be of use as a tool to increase privacy in the garden.

Failing that you can book a one-hour consultation below if you feel you need more tailored advice!

Happy gardening!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!