Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pruning acer palmatum

I have bought a lovely Purple Acer palmatum  for my garden and was wondering if/ how to prune some of the lower branches or should I leave them? 

Hello Diz, 

I know Lee has a video on pruning, so that's worth a look, don't do any pruning this time of year.

It's advised to prune whilst the tree is dormant, but before the tree starts it's new growth the following season.

Saying that, this year I was late on some gardening jobs, this included some pruning, but all turned out OK, pruning depends upon what shape you require, if one doesn't want bottom branches trailing on the ground,  these can be removed, my Acers branches do touch the ground, just, what you want to look at are the dead branches, and smaller branches coming off these, these are easy to spot as they are normally brittle and greyish in colour. 

One hears about crossed/touching branches, cross your fingers, and if you spot some branches that look like your crossed fingers, one of those has to go, choose the main looking branch that is connected to the main stem and keep that. 

I know the leaves on Acers make the tree look quite delicate, but they can take a fair bit of hard pruning, just make sure that if you want to remove a thickish branch use a good set of sharp loppers, don't attack it with small secateurs, having to take numerous cuts at the branch, you want a one cut and it's off, secateurs for small branches, again one cut and it's off. 

So this time of year sit back and enjoy your Acer. 

Bob

diz118 has reacted to this post.
diz118
Quote from diz118 on 11th June 2022, 11:02 am

I have bought a lovely Purple Acer palmatum  for my garden and was wondering if/ how to prune some of the lower branches or should I leave them? 

Hi Diz,

Thanks for your question on how and when to prune Acers. Bobs is right prune in late winter when the Acer is dormant. Pruning the lower branches of an Acer is a good way to shape them into a really graceful tree form rather than a multistem shrub.

Acer palmatums are super slow growing so you really need to consider the branches you're pruning and why.

Some common reasons to prune an Acer are:

• Removing dead, damaged or diseased wood/stems
  • To shape a tree into a specific form
  • To remove branches that are in the way

When to prune Acers:

Prune Acers in late winter when all their leaves have fallen and on a dry day. Use clean sharp secateurs. If removing considerable amounts watch my video to hard pruning below. For lighter pruning, the 60 second guide is best!

How to tidy up an Acer by pruning:

Other tips are to cut back to the next outward-facing bud to help promote growth. If you want to remove an entire branch go right back to the main trunk. So you don't get regrowth.

Use clean sharp secateurs and always use the right size tools for the branches. Don't crush or saw with secateurs. If they don't cut easily you need larger snips or loppers.

Hopefully, that helps!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!