Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pruning Salvias

Hi everyone, I’m Heather, recently retired keen gardener. I’ve got a salvia ‘Hot Lips’ that’s become very ‘leggy’. How and when can I prune it, please?

Hello Heather, I suggest leaving your Salvia pruning until April, I to have several Salvias in my garden and they do look rather "untidy" there is new growth showing on the stems, so one wants to tidy things up ASAP, but give it a little time, I have cut mine back fairly hard and they always come back well. 

Lee has just completed a video on pruning, very informative, easy guides to follow, very much worth a look. 

Bob

Hi RedH,

Thanks for your question.

Most perennial Salvias are hardy. To be honest, I'm brutal with my Salvias. They all get the chop in February in the UK when the new growth is starting at the base. You can see this in my latest video with Salvia 'Caradonna' where I chop them back to the ground.

How to prune a Salvia:

1. Hardy Salvias are best pruned late winter before new growth emerges. Salvia 'hot lips' and 'Caradonna' are good examples.

2. Using sharp secateurs cut back the brown crisped up stems.

3. Cut back the Salvia to 2-4 inches from the ground

4. Compost or reuse the cut back material

You can like Bob suggests wait until April then pick through the salvia removing anything brown and crispy. It depends on the size of garden and the time you have. Both methods will work. I just have too many plants to be that nurturing. They will respond well to both.

Check out my how to prune back herbaceous plants guide here which shows you lots of examples.

If you're looking to add Salvias to your garden then Thompson & Morgan offer a huge variety which you can buy online here. (This is an affiliate link so if you do choose to buy receive a small commission that helps keep this blog free to use!) I hope that helps and welcome to the Garden Ninja community!

Lee

Online garden design courses

Share this now!