Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Aphid treatment in the garden: Organic tips

Morning,

I moved house at the end of last year and I now have an amazing well established garden. I’m learning how to look after it having only had a few pots before but it seems to be doing well!! I have an aphid infestation on one of the tutsans and it is next to other things including a blackberry bush. I didn’t want to spray it as I am worried about the wildlife that’s eating them but on the other hand I don’t want to leave it and have them spread everywhere. I wondered if I should cut it all back? Any advice would be much appreciated. 
Many thanks in advance,
Christie 

Hello Christie, 

Is it a big infestation or just a few on the stems and leafs, If you have a hosepipe I would spray the plant, not using a normal water jet, but a spray (shower type) if you gun has one, and as spraying just rub the affected part of the plant through finger and thumb, thus either washing off the bugs or squashing them.

But don't forget these little critters are food for other wildlife, I hope Lee picks up on your post as he gardens organically, and he may have a tried and tested method.

Bob

christie and Gemon2 have reacted to this post.
christieGemon2

Hi Bob,

There seems to be an awful lot of them but they haven’t  moved to the plants next to it yet. I left them on the Acer as there were some lady bugs eating them but it now looks terribly sad and I don’t want that happening to other things. 

Thank you for the advice 

Christie 

Hi Christie, 

If they are just on your Acer, try out an old remedy, washing up liquid and plain water. 

A couple of tea spoons of washing up liquid into a hand spray bottle, top up with water, give it a good shake, you want a sticky liquid, and go spray the pests, using a hand spray you can get really close in, making sure the affected areas and pests are completely covered.

Was your Acer looking good prior to these aphids turning up?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes it was certainly more healthy before. I don’t know if the tutsan will fare better. I’ll try the water technique and see what happens!

Thank you 

Christie 

Quote from bob on 14th May 2022, 11:10 pm

Hello Christie, 

Is it a big infestation or just a few on the stems and leafs, If you have a hosepipe I would spray the plant, not using a normal water jet, but a spray (shower type) if you gun has one, and as spraying just rub the affected part of the plant through finger and thumb, thus either washing off the bugs or squashing them.

But don't forget these little critters are food for other wildlife, I hope Lee picks up on your post as he gardens organically, and he may have a tried and tested method.

Bob

Hi Christie,

I echo Bob's advice. In particular the washing up liquid in a spray bottle formula.

I used this just the other week on an aphid attack on some of my new roses. I'd lovingly looked after them and fed them correctly. It goes to show that even us pros have gardening problems. So don't beat yourself up about it. 

The way the washing up liquid works is to block the spiracles or breathing holes of the aphids so they suffocate. The detergent can also break down their waxy coatings again killing them. Not the nicest but you have to decide between beautiful roses or food for ladybirds sometimes. As your garden equilibrates with more beneficial insects you'll less likely need to use the washing up liquid option.

Good luck!

Lee

Gemon2 has reacted to this post.
Gemon2

Thank you very much for the advice. I’ll give it a go. 

christie 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!