Welcome to the Garden Ninja Gardening Forum! If you have a gardening question that you can't find answers to then ask below to seek help from the Garden Ninja army! Please make your garden questions as specific and detailed as possible so the community can provide comprehensive answers in the online forum below.

Welcome to the ultimate beginner gardening and garden design forum! Where no gardening question is too silly or obvious. This online gardening forum is run by Lee Burkhill, the Garden Ninja from BBC 1's Garden Rescue and a trusted group of experienced gardeners.

Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, it's a safe place to ask garden-related questions for garden design or planting. If you have a problem in your garden or need help, this is the Garden Forum for you!

Garden Ninja forum ask a question

Posting Rules: This space is open for all garden-related questions. Please be polite, courteous and respectful. If you wouldn't say it to your mum's face, then don't post it here. Please don't promote, sell, link spam or advertise here. Please don't ask for 'cheeky' full Garden redesigns here. They will be deleted.

If you need a garden design service, please use this page to book a design consultation. I will block anyone who breaks these rules or is discourteous to the Garden Ninja Community.

Join the forum below with your gardening questions!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Solar panels 😬 disguising with trees or plants?

Hi there, 

I was looking for advice please. Our (lovely!) neighbour at the back has decided to put solar panels on his double garage roof which overlooks our garden! 

Legally we know that there’s nothing we can do about the solar panels so we would like to try and screen them as much as possible and as quick as possible! 

We have been advised to  take some of our patio up and grow bamboo or maybe put in a few Laurel trees for all year round screening. 
(We did think about building a pagoda but it would mean losing quite abit of the garden and we live in a new build so it isn’t the biggest garden. Also we need the space for our sons to play football. 

I don’t want a complete band of trees as i think it could appear to block the light and I still want a feeling of space hence why we thought about bamboo but then I’m not overly keen on the look of bamboo 😬

HELP!

Can anyone advise on a fast growing, evergreen, that doesn’t take lots of preening and which won’t appear to look ‘block looking’? We did think about preach trees but again we’re at abit of loss which type would be most suitable.

Our garden is south west facing.

Uploaded files:
  • 61C7015C-8D1F-4C19-A984-DF97FC48F13B.jpeg

Hi @sarahm1

Thanks for your question about how to hide solar panels with garden plants and design.

First I would say that this really falls into Garden Design services - see the above disclaimer. You can book a consultation if you want a full design offering to rectify this issue you're facing.

If you're looking for trees to help disguise the view of your neighbour's garage solar panels, my advice would be to avoid big evergreen trees. That is because they will block out too much light and probably draw attention to that area. Also, a pergola may look a bit awkward, given how open the garden and lawn is. It would need plenty of herbaceous plants to soften it, or you're just adding more structures to hide a structure - if that makes sense! This never works it just draws the eye further towards the problem.

3 Trees to try:

Betula pendula - This tall silver birch will add some height without blocking out too much light.

Acer campestre - the field maple provides a lovely broad canopy without being too dominating.

Pleached trees - Fagus Sylvatica Pleached Beech - this could work well for you in providing screening and would work with your modern layout. Again you'd really need to reconfigure the garden so they didn't just look like lego trees, they need other plantings to help connect them with your lawn. Read my guide on pleached trees here or watch the video below.

You may also find this popular forum post a good place to start when looking for trees for small gardens.

Hope that helps!

Lee

Hi Lee, 

Thank you so much for your response and advice it is very muchly appreciated.

I will definitely research the ideas and options you have suggested and will be in touch about booking a garden design consultation.

Thank you again,

Sarah 

Online garden design courses

Share this now!